Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Diamonds in the Street


One fall morning, I trekked to school down my usual route. With my huge back pack bopping against my back, I knew I would be there in less than ten minutes since I only lived three blocks away. As I turned the corner I saw something amazing. The street up ahead was sparkling in the soft morning sunlight. I had to find out what was causing this so I hurried to get closer. Lo and behold my 7 year old eyes saw diamonds; hundreds of diamonds littered all over the street. What I didn’t know was that this phenomenon was really the remnants of a very bad accident that must have occurred early that morning or the night before. A few cars drove by and I thought they must not be seeing what I am seeing or else they would be jumping out of their cars, taking as many as they could. I peered sneakily to my left and then to my right to make sure no one would see me. Then with quick precision, I picked up a handful of the diamonds and pushed them in my pockets.

I didn’t tell any of my friends or my teacher what I found that morning just in case they would try to take them from me. I went through the entire day, day dreaming about my mom’s reaction when she would see the diamonds I found in the street. I knew she would be sooooo happy and all I wanted was for my mother to be happy.

When I got home, I ran to my mom and pulled out my treasures, holding them in both hands with a big, accomplished smile on my face.

“Look Mommy! Look what I found?!”

Without thinking, she immediately knocked them out of my hand and on to the floor.

“What are you doing with that glass in your hands?!” She scolded me.

“But they’re diamonds..”

“It’s glass not diamonds! Don’t’ ever pick things up from the street again!”

My happy bubble burst. I really thought in my 7 year old mind that when she saw the diamonds, she would bear hug me and be overwhelmed with absolute joy. I thought that with the diamonds, my mother would finally be able to buy a house where we would live happily ever after.

As a mom, I understand my mother’s immediate concern. She just wanted to protect me from getting hurt and I just wanted to do exactly what all children in violent households want to do – protect the abused parent from getting hurt by making everything better. I saw this stroke of luck of finding diamonds in the street as the key to my mom’s true happiness. Although she said they were glass, I still believed them to be diamonds, so for several nights, I would stare at them in bed before I would drift away to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar expeience...all that glitters is not gold. I thought they would help my family...they never did.

Copyright 2009 Ward of the Court
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft