Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Happy Holidays...On a Budget


Greetings Everyone! I know I haven't blogged in a while. It's not that I haven't been reflecting on my life as a Ward of the Court. For one, my computer literally blew up in a number of sporadic sparks rivaling the fireworks of Independence Day. The only difference is that smoke spiralled into the air after the display. I'm in the process of replacing my computer but I have to get someone to help me transfer all of my data which I am praying is still intact. Most people are busy with their Holiday shopping and planning and last minute projects at work, so it is difficult to find a willing IT person.

My job is really demanding right now as well but I am happy to be working. I have been thinking about all of those out of work as a result of the Budget crisis; not able to make ends meet, having to downsize their homes, having difficulty feeding their children and themselves and it makes me think more of giving of myself rather than giving immaterial things. I don't have the means to give gifts to people this year and that makes me feel bad because I love to give. All I can give to people is a sincere smile and a "Happy Holiday's" greeting and hope that they appreciate it.

What I really hope is that my example as a child who lost both parents at the same time as a result of Domestic Violence, would help others who are in violent relationships to leave before it's too late. It doesn't matter if you have been married for 2 months, 2 years or 20 years. It doesn't matter if you share children with an abuser. It doesn't matter if you are an adult dating or a teen dating. It doesn't matter if you are 16 or 61, no one should ever put their hand on you to hurt you. Love doesn't hurt.

Some really valuable information was brought to my attention yesterday by a co-worker. It was an opportunity to volunteer for either the Rape Crisis Service & Hotline Program or the Domestic Violence Hotline. I would love to help with either one but I am leaning more towards the Domestic Violence Hotline since I have lived it. I hope I will be able to meet the qualifications of the non-profit organization that is funding this program. I think that for the Holidays, gifts that don't cost much are the most valuable and let us not forget those less fortunate than us and to always be thankful for everything that we do have.

Happy Holidays Everyone! Enjoy!

1 comment:

heartsounds_amplified said...

Thank you for this blog, for your incredible generosity and your strength to survive, tell this story, and to give so much to others. I will definitely be using some links you have listed. I moved in with someone that seemed perfect, and now I live in fear of a tennis racket. Good luck in all you do, and I wish you and your siblings a happy new year!

Copyright 2009 Ward of the Court
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft