Monday, September 29, 2008

Write Out Loud!

This weekend I stumbled upon a great writing opportunity as I was perusing the Writer’s Digest website. Field Report.com encourages writers to send in excerpts of their true life experiences for a chance to win a cash prize of $1,000, which they offer every month. Your writing peers are the judges, scoring you from 0 – 10. I thought this was amazingly timely, so I entered my blog article, “The Empath”. I renamed it “The Empaths” though, to reverberate a collective voice of children and adults just like me. So far, I received two comments and both anonymous persons seemed to benefit from the opened door into my dysfunctional household. One even commented that everyone not only in physically abusive but emotionally abusive relationships should read it. Despite the monetary prize, I already feel a sense of triumph because someone has already profited from my entry.

I read other people’s entries also and commented on them and realized that everyone has a story. In all shapes and sizes and colors, everyone has an interesting story to share. Your story doesn’t have to be as crazy as mine to be fascinating. What matters is that you take that big step and write it. And what’s most important is that you write it with your heart. I find this whole experience of simply writing down pieces of my soul in this blog, knowing that people may be reading it, to be exhilarating. It’s hard to explain but I feel a peace of mind on a different level whereas there are no more walls surrounding me. I encourage everyone to write their life down somewhere. It doesn’t have to be in a contest and you don’t have to be Hemingway. Take it from me, the simple act of writing is extremely therapeutic so please, take that step if you haven’t and Write Out Loud!

No comments:

Copyright 2009 Ward of the Court
Free WordPress Themes designed by EZwpthemes
Converted by Theme Craft